Back in January, I read that Emerald was Pantone's Color of the Year for 2013 and my imagination went wild. The first thing I thought of? "The Wizard of Oz" and its Emerald City. What a fun theme for a party! Here's my inspiration board for the cake and cookie bar I dreamed up that is loosely inspired by the classic film.
- Joyful Cake with a simple blue ribbon border at the base garnished with a sugar paste poppy
- mini cheesecakes topped with strawberry slices (the strawberries look just like little hearts!)
- cupcakes with a mix of green and white frosting, all garnished with green sanding sugar... I'm thinking that sweet corn cupcakes with cream cheese frosting would be perfect
- mini pavlovas topped with kiwi
- caramel lady apples
- haystack cookies
- lemon bars (for our yellow brick road)
- rainbow cookies
- for the floral design, arrangements of sunflowers (not only do they look like a lion's mane but sunflowers are the state flower for Kansas!)...
- and a couple of "ruby" red lady slipper orchids
- for the table setting, vintage green depression glass plates
- galvanized metal cake stands and platters
- reclaimed log serving pieces... like this log bowl from Loyal Loot - shown here in Pale Sage Green (I discovered this fantastic company on Fab.com)
- green glass cake stands... like the one I spied in the window at Atmosphere on Smith Street in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
- and we'll wash everything down with ice cold water garnished with fresh mint and cucumber slices served in these beautiful green pressed glass high balls from Rosanna
- finally, a blue gingham runner to go on the farm table where all of our delectable sweets would be displayed
What would you include on a "Wizard of Oz" themed dessert table?